StarCraft II To Be Released as a Trilogy

Discuss topics that relate to computer and console gaming, or gaming in general.
Yoon
Administrator
Administrator
Input the current year: 1592

StarCraft II To Be Released as a Trilogy

Post by Yoon »

Blizzard recently announced that StarCraft II will be released as a trilogy:
Blizzard plans to release its upcoming RTS sequel StarCraft II as a trilogy of games, each focusing on one of the franchise's playable races. The company made the surprising announcement during its BlizzCon event in Anaheim, California.

The first of the three releases will focus on game's Terran faction, and will be subtitled Terrans: Wings of Liberty. The second and third, which executive VP of game design Rob Pardo likened to expansion packs, will be respectively entitled Zerg: Heart of the Swarm and Protoss: Legacy of the Void. An overarching storyline will spread across the titles.

Source: http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_i ... tory=20603
I'm okay with Blizzard releasing SC II with a trilogy, as long as the release dates between the games in the trilogy aren't too long (i.e. more than a year). It'll give the developers more time to flesh out the SC II storyline for each race.

Gametrailers.com has posted a video clip from the opening of SC II, where Kerrigan (the former Terran ghost, now Zerg Queen) makes a showing: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/41395.html

There are also additional SC II gameplay videos on Gametrailers.com that were shown at this year's BlizzCon.
Jaegar
Level 67 (Sleeper)
Level 67 (Sleeper)

Re: StarCraft II To Be Released as a Trilogy

Post by Jaegar »

crap. I need to find a copy of the expansion >.< I still haven't played the expansion storyline from the first game.

Being released as a trilogy is intriguing though. Does this mean it will be as long as three games put together? O.o
Yoon
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Yoon »

Jaegar wrote:crap. I need to find a copy of the expansion >.< I still haven't played the expansion storyline from the first game.
o.O! You've gotta play SC: Brood War! It's a must-play expansion before you play SC II!
Being released as a trilogy is intriguing though. Does this mean it will be as long as three games put together? O.o
That's a good question. I hope each of the games' campaign will be long and worthwhile, like the original SC and it's expansion.
Hadvi
Level 56 (Geographer)
Level 56 (Geographer)

Post by Hadvi »

it seems more like a marketing trick to me. I have seen the trailers and the game looks amazing. I dunno if its a good idea to make it a trilogy. especially if they gonna cost a lot per game. I guess ill have to wait till I can get them for a bargain price XD. (I know, im cheapass).

Show me what it's like, to be the last one standing~~
And teach me wrong from right, and I'll show you what I can be~~
And say it for me, say it to me~~
And I'll leave this life behind me~~
Say it if it's worth saving me~~
Jaegar
Level 67 (Sleeper)
Level 67 (Sleeper)

Post by Jaegar »

lol... I have the opposite problem right now. I have a reasonable amount of money to spare, but no time. Lemme read off all the games that are (literally) lying around my house waiting to be played.
-Half Life
-Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem
-Resident Evil 4
-Megaman X collection
-Beyond Good & Evil

And they keep piling up T.T
Hadvi
Level 56 (Geographer)
Level 56 (Geographer)

Post by Hadvi »

its not that I dont have any money :P. I just dont want to pay too much for the same game. Buying the same game 3 times is a bit too much XD.

BTW, how are they gonna do that for online gameplay??? if you want to play a certain race online, you need to buy all of them???

KillerSmo
Level 63 (Seal)
Level 63 (Seal)

Post by KillerSmo »

I still can't beat Brood Wars on the toughest setting... This should be a great Trilogy!

When does the first one come out?
Yoon
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Yoon »

Blizzard says that StarCraft II will be released sometime in 2009.
Slayer
Level 61 (Dragon Tail)
Level 61 (Dragon Tail)
Input the current year: 2009

Post by Slayer »

i got so many games to finish and loads of cool stuff to do like before i got rid of my dreamcast i wanted to go far in soul caliber suvival mode which i got a good 63 kills before i died. god did it get hard from wimpy nooby computer to ones that actsolly use there computer programs. so now a days since its too easy to complete games i set myself challengers *such as my biggest yet DW4 Xtream mode how far can i go* i love suvival modes since it shows skill and how good you rly can be
PSN:ChaoticCrusader
MSN:darkcronical@live.co.uk
Hadvi
Level 56 (Geographer)
Level 56 (Geographer)

Post by Hadvi »

O_o 2009, but they are practically finished :P. aw well, I got no rush at all :P.

Lozal
Level 37 (Mummy)
Level 37 (Mummy)

Post by Lozal »

I guess WoW must be going down hill to have to pull a stunt like this. Saddest thing is that Starcraft is just a bad rip-off of Warhammer 40K.
I'm just going to wait for Dawn of War 2 (about Feb 2009) to come out. They will have 4 playable races and after 2 expansion packs they will have added another 4 or more.
Deity
Level 53 (Gremlin)
Level 53 (Gremlin)

Post by Deity »

Wtf are you talking about? Starcraft is like #1 PC game ever to be released of all time. I think in the long run, it outshines WoW ;P
Lozal
Level 37 (Mummy)
Level 37 (Mummy)

Post by Lozal »

Deity wrote:Wtf are you talking about? Starcraft is like #1 PC game ever to be released of all time. I think in the long run, it outshines WoW ;P
Oops typo, What I meant to say is that WoW must be going downhill for Blizzard to make a marketing ploy like this. Deity have you played any of the Dawn of War games? It's pretty balance with 9 different races and it's the origin of Starcraft (I personally prefer squad combat and tactics over OMGWTF carriers). Blizzard pretty much copied and pasted some of the races from both Warhammer Fantasy and Warhammer 40K.

Warhammer 40K Space Marines
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catal ... GameStyle=
Warhammer 40K Tyrnanids (aka the Zerg)
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catal ... GameStyle=