Test campaign

Feeling adventurous? If so, give this well-known fantasy tabletop role-playing game a try!
buji
Level 48 (Gargoyle)
Level 48 (Gargoyle)
Input the current year: 2009

Test campaign

Post by buji »

hmm, actually, its no hard for xp - ive seen some of the old stuff. none of the CR formula stuff, just straight xp per kill in the monster manual, and i have the lvling charts for the classes. not too complicated, just in groups. divine casters, fighters, arcane casters, rogeus. its just seems wierd that a wizard lvls at same # as a fighter. one class shouldnt have a big advantage over another, but its harder for a wiz to get xp, so wouldn't it put the wiz way behind cuz the fighter kills 50 more people than the wiz, just cuz he's stronger and can?

btw - it doesnt particularly bother me, its just a good discussion.

@campaign - i guess we should have someone listen at the door then peek. i will listen. - let me check mods.hm, no listen skills.
just a +4 cuz of wisdom.
Last edited by buji on July 9th, 2007, 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jaegar
Level 67 (Sleeper)
Level 67 (Sleeper)
Input the current year: 1592

Test campaign

Post by Jaegar »

ahhhhh! you don't have your languages written down XP
You don't get to know what they're saying :P You can hear multiple voices speaking orc in a bored-friendly type tone. Your best guess is that there are 4 of them.

back to the exp discussion ^_^

I can see where you're coming from with different classes leveling at different exp numbers. That system was made to balance the exp-per-kill exp calculation method (I think). The d20 system has methods for calculating exp from any "encounter" the DM thinks is worth it. I usually skip the details of the calculations and get the general CR, apply modifiers I think are relevant, and come up with exp for each character. I've never had anyone complain about my exp rewards in the past.

If you think about the exp-per-kill method it's a bit unfair anyway. If the wizard kills stuff by buffing the party instead of blasting, why should he get less exp? If the cleric spends the battle healing the tank why would he get less exp? It's what he's good at and it helps the party. Is there some mystical force released from the body of fallen enemies that causes only the one who brought about their death to get better at what they do?
buji
Level 48 (Gargoyle)
Level 48 (Gargoyle)

Test campaign

Post by buji »

hmm...that makes sense. but if you think of xp as a %, it would end up being balanced, or at least more so, because although he got less #, the # over whenever he lvls comes out to a more balanced %. not that im complaining about your xp - i want that clear. im the last one to complain about rewards. just discussing. although you definetly have a point with a cleric buffing and healing. otherwise he might feel like he needs to meet a quota just to keep up. although the DM usually splits xp between important parts, so a DM could balance it out. I guess its just whichever the DM is most comfortable with.

anyway - i get my bow out, and i'll open the door juuuuuuuust a little, so i can see, and maybe shoot.
Jaegar
Level 67 (Sleeper)
Level 67 (Sleeper)

Test campaign

Post by Jaegar »

hummmm... lemme look at your stats and roll some stuff. I'll PM you with the exact results.

Everyone hears the voices more clearly as the door opens. I remember at least a few of you know orc so I'll let you know what they're saying now. It's just general chat over a card game. I'd type out a bit but I'm lazy :P
Tarquin
Level 56 (Geographer)
Level 56 (Geographer)

Test campaign

Post by Tarquin »

Hmm..buji..I dont know what u see, but, some indication as to the next course of action?
Hadvi
Level 56 (Geographer)
Level 56 (Geographer)

Test campaign

Post by Hadvi »

lets make a trap for those orcs and lure them :P. lets dig a deep hole and then lure them in so they fall into the hole. after that we bury them alive :P.

Show me what it's like, to be the last one standing~~
And teach me wrong from right, and I'll show you what I can be~~
And say it for me, say it to me~~
And I'll leave this life behind me~~
Say it if it's worth saving me~~
buji
Level 48 (Gargoyle)
Level 48 (Gargoyle)

Test campaign

Post by buji »

nice hadvi

*quietly explains layout of room and orcs*
alright, its a long room, and the next door on this side also goes into the same room. two orcs are sleeping in beds next to the wall oppisite these doors, and 3 are at a table playing cards between these doors, kinda near the wall. They are sitting so one is facing the wall between the doors, and one is facing each door.

i suggest having an archer(s) step out of both doors at the same time, shoot the orcs that are facing the doors. then shoot the last one at the card table. if we pick them all off quietly and quickly enough, we can assasinate the sleepers and save a battle. i forget how many archers we have, but if we shoot and move further in the room or out of the way somehow, the next guy canstep in behind them and get another shot off.

or we can shoot them till they charge and have them surrounded when they get through the door, and commence the beatdown.

i prefer the first. any more ideas?
Tarquin
Level 56 (Geographer)
Level 56 (Geographer)

Test campaign

Post by Tarquin »

The first is nice, but it all depends on how strong shooting the arrows will be, that is, can we kill them with arrows quickly enough? Im not too sure of that...if we cant kill them fast enough I would prefer the second idea of urs.
buji
Level 48 (Gargoyle)
Level 48 (Gargoyle)

Test campaign

Post by buji »

well, i forget if we have a rogue, cuz he would get xtra 1d6 dmg cuz of sneak atk on his orc, and has a pretty good chance of killing him, unless the orc is super abnormally strong, or the rogue rolls bad. i think we have a good chance of killing an orc by shooting him. remember the one outside? he died in 1 critical hit, so two normal hits are quite capable enough of killing him. maybe even one normal hit with max dmg.

basically, its very possible to quickly kill them with our first volley of arrows. what do you guys think?
Dark Falco
Level 31 (Deviling)
Level 31 (Deviling)

Test campaign

Post by Dark Falco »

hmm, well i say we go with the first idea, and incase you both miss, or low damg and dont kill one [or both] we can retreat behide the door and have the second plan start and kill them that way.

[just incase you dont know, im back=3 ]
Last edited by Dark Falco on July 12th, 2007, 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dark Falco: 150 shadow chaser : TF Guild Leader
Vivi: 150 Sorcerer
Silent Swordsmen: 103 Rune Knight
Dark Healer: 83 Priest
Falco: 86 Hunter
Hadvi
Level 56 (Geographer)
Level 56 (Geographer)

Test campaign

Post by Hadvi »

maybe a backup plan in case they both miss. I still think digging a hole 1 or 2 spaces in front of the door is good to trap an orc :P. Of course we cover it up so the orc(s) wont notice.

Jaegar
Level 67 (Sleeper)
Level 67 (Sleeper)

Test campaign

Post by Jaegar »

I still think digging a hole 1 or 2 spaces in front of the door is good to trap an orc :P
The floors are stone, not packed earth. Good luck digging through the floor without tools and a few hours.

also, lol @ your sig XD
buji
Level 48 (Gargoyle)
Level 48 (Gargoyle)

Test campaign

Post by buji »

digging not a bad idea, but lets do that when we have more time and a bigger catch. we can kill 5 orcs unaware. hopefully.

im assuming this is the plan since no one has said anything else for a few days.`lets put half our archers at each door with a melee guy.

i move to door farther down the hall. who's comin with me ad who's stayin at closer door.

*have i explained it well enough for there to be a picture posted that you gave me jae?
Last edited by buji on July 12th, 2007, 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jaegar
Level 67 (Sleeper)
Level 67 (Sleeper)

Test campaign

Post by Jaegar »

ok, here's a diagram of the hall you can see and the possible positions. The "P"s are "people". The person here will open the door then step out of the way for the ranged people to attack (surprise round, single action). The "A"s are possible archer positions. The only position that won't have to move into the doorway to get a clear shot at an orc is the position diagonal from the upper door.

Hadvi
Level 56 (Geographer)
Level 56 (Geographer)

Test campaign

Post by Hadvi »

I have some handy spells left!?

level 0 (cantrips)
- daze: creature loses next action
- ray of frost: 1d3 (1-3) cold damage
- detect magic: detects spells/magic within 60 ft

level 1
- cause fear: 1 creature flees for 1d4 (1-4) rounds

ill just use daze or cause fear if we cant manage to kill all 5 :P

And what wrong with my sig XD
Last edited by Hadvi on July 13th, 2007, 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.