Forum Dice conventions

Feeling adventurous? If so, give this well-known fantasy tabletop role-playing game a try!
Jaegar
Level 67 (Sleeper)
Level 67 (Sleeper)
Input the current year: 1592

Forum Dice conventions

Post by Jaegar »

Every RL D&D group has their dice conventions and such, since Yoon has added something that let's us use dice, looks like we need to make some too.

The dice command goes [ dice=x ] where x is the number of sides you want the die to have. It's a little finicky and doesn't seem to work if you use the quick reply box and it also requires you to preview your post before posting it. If you forget, gou can go back and edit to fix it.

It looks like this [dice=20]

I've found a small bit of abusability, so I'm going to have to dictate the order in which you make your rolls.

You'll make your rolls at the end of whatever post you declare your actions in. You can put them in a separate post of you feel like it. Roll every roll you might need for the round, damage and everything.

The rolls should be in the order you perform the actions.

<skill checks>
<attack(s)>
<damage>
<crit comfirmation(s)> (if necessary)
<crit damage>(if necessary)
<other effects from your attack> (sometimes happens with spells or powerful weapons)

[dice=20]+1 (BAB)+4 (dex)= 16 to hit
[dice=3] (weapon)+[dice=6] (sneak attack)+1 strength= 8 damage
totals added after previewing

and there you go. This halfling fighter/rogue probably just stabbed something rather painfully.

Only make the rolls for what you're doing (like a skill check made out of combat). You should add your modifiers at the end of any rolls that have them. If you're making a lot of rolls it would probably be best to label them. (1st attack, 2nd attack, ect)

I'd like everyone who knows how D&D works to make their own rolls now please ^_^. It'll really help me out. If you're new, of course Im not gonna require you to do this. Hopefully you can watch and learn now.

edit 4/27/08: Changed crit confirmation roll order to be after damage.[rand=25282991734887334116058347485061428719034789652829088823926129215]

Cancel alllll of that. new forum means new rules. For the foreseeable future, we'll use http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/ . It makes results like this:
Skill check
attack
damage
some random other thing (1d20 9=16, 1d20 8=20, 2d6 3=11, 1d7-6=-5)

It's a bit messy if you make long rolls like that, but it's much more manageable if you only have a few at once. Quick walkthrough:

Arrange as you like in such a way that it makes sense (usually next to the action you're rolling for.) More details when it's not 1 am
Last edited by Jaegar on April 27th, 2008, 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jaegar
Level 67 (Sleeper)
Level 67 (Sleeper)

Forum Dice conventions

Post by Jaegar »

Hmm, I've been thinking on one dice rolling issue we'll need to address. Reactive/Defensive rolls. Several skills (notably spot and listen) and all your saving throws are used on other people's turns, but I don't want use to have to sit around and wait for people to reply with their saving throw roll or w/e. I'm thinking the DM should make those rolls.

In the roll order format these rolls will go immediately after the effect that caused the roll to be made, or in the case of players using effects that require enemies to react, first thing in the DM's next post.

Also, a quick note for my two new players. I can do all your rolls for you till you figure things out. Please tell me your modifiers and/or include a link to your character's thread in your sig so I can easily look up your stats. Looking up all the characters so I could make their rolls was a major pain last time. Nobody gave me their stats and there were like, 3 different character threads for 7 characters or something. End point, please make it easy for me. Make a thread for your character and link to it pl0x. (I'll post another sample character thread soon)
Saxire
Level 63 (Seal)
Level 63 (Seal)
Input the current year: 2009

Forum Dice conventions

Post by Saxire »

Really i tried for 10mins.. i jus cant understand the dice thing @_@
Duhduhduh dum.
Jaegar
Level 67 (Sleeper)
Level 67 (Sleeper)

Forum Dice conventions

Post by Jaegar »

yeah... you don't need to yet. It's yet another one of those things you'll learn by watching. I should probably make your character thread for you too.
Dark Falco
Level 31 (Deviling)
Level 31 (Deviling)
Input the current year: 2009

Forum Dice conventions

Post by Dark Falco »

sooo...[dice=20]+4 (BAB)and +3(dex)=26 [dang thats good xD] then attack from weapon [dice=10](dwarven war axe)+4(str)=9 damnage

not crit DWA is a 20 on dice to do it, not over 20 combinded
so i think that dwarf just had some fun? xD[rand=93950826729207446310466214962545293055235676791528781012078973594]
Dark Falco: 150 shadow chaser : TF Guild Leader
Vivi: 150 Sorcerer
Silent Swordsmen: 103 Rune Knight
Dark Healer: 83 Priest
Falco: 86 Hunter
Jaegar
Level 67 (Sleeper)
Level 67 (Sleeper)

Forum Dice conventions

Post by Jaegar »

>.< I should probably remember my own guidelines a bit more. My dice-filled posts are a little annoying to read and find the right roll in. I'll try some stuff to help that...