RPG resources

Feeling adventurous? If so, give this well-known fantasy tabletop role-playing game a try!
Jaegar
Level 67 (Sleeper)
Level 67 (Sleeper)
Input the current year: 1592

RPG resources

Post by Jaegar »

I'm thinking of trying something different in this area of the forum. Before I start anything though, I'd like to point out a few things on the internet that will help.

The first is the d20 system reference document. It's essentially a free copy of all the non-copyrighted stuff in the basic game of D&D (which is all but a few monsters). Everything you need to play basic D&D is in there.
http://www.d20srd.org/

The second is this weird little dress up thing my rl gaming group uses to make character portraits. It has a lot of options for making characters, and if something's not right with it you can edit the picture afterward (I can't draw but I can edit like mad! >3). Of course, nobody in my rl group can draw. This one's just for fun, but I like it. Maybe I'll be able to convince some of you artsy people to draw our characters ^^p
[url=http://www.ugo.com/channels/comics/heroMachine2/heromachine2.asp]http://www.ugo.com/channels/comics/hero ... chine2.asp[/url]

After some searching, I found some good character sheets that work without having to be printed out (>.> I'm looking at all the designers in irritation). Mad Irishman is a pretty well know custom sheet, and the version 2.2 sheet does what I want without a lot of fuss. so yeah... now I need to figure out a good way of making these files easily readable. I don't wanna have to look at my e-mail every time someone changes their character and stuff, but I know nothing about filesharing. Anyone know a convenient place to put PDF files where anyone can look at them?
[url=http://www.mad-irishman.net/index.html]http://www.mad-irishman.net/index.html[/url]
direct download of the sheet I like (cuz there are about 19472937 variations) [link]

edit: Mediafire was annoying the crap out of me with the slow website and then it stopped letting me login to my account. Let's try rapidshare next.
https://ssl.rapidshare.com/

=O I'm contributing to the resource page with an original creation? Madness! Yup, I made an ability score calculator. You can use it to get your ability scores. It's available for download here

I'm thinking that to keep track of characters we could have a thread for each character in this forum. The first post should have a link to someplace with their PDF character sheet and some of their more important info would be in the post itself. If everyone did that and had a link to their character in their sig it would be much easier to check people's stats.
Last edited by Jaegar on March 1st, 2008, 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jaegar
Level 67 (Sleeper)
Level 67 (Sleeper)

RPG resources

Post by Jaegar »

Code: Select all

......|..
......|__
....P....
E.E......
.E.......
awesome! it even works with the live preview so you can see the maps as you're drawing! <3 Easy map making

Thanks for the new feature yoon ^__^

edit: gyah! O.o when I post it looks different from the preview! it changes to an editable text and messes up the spacing by using a normal font XP

bug! bug! evil bug that must be quickly squashed for the awesome ease of use that is typed map making!
Last edited by Jaegar on February 26th, 2008, 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jaegar
Level 67 (Sleeper)
Level 67 (Sleeper)

RPG resources

Post by Jaegar »

while I'm at it, I'm gonna try something with the code box again

Code: Select all

.....|.....
....o|.....
...oo|.....
..ooo|.....
Is there a straight, dashed line through the middle of that text?

edit: removed the mediafire link
Last edited by Jaegar on March 1st, 2008, 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Saxire
Level 63 (Seal)
Level 63 (Seal)
Input the current year: 2009

RPG resources

Post by Saxire »

You seem to have almost as much time as me on your hands...some1 really has to walk me thru all this shit :-[

Edit : when i say shit it doesnt mean its bad :P ..i jus use some words.. excessively me thinks
Last edited by Saxire on February 26th, 2008, 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Duhduhduh dum.
Jaegar
Level 67 (Sleeper)
Level 67 (Sleeper)

RPG resources

Post by Jaegar »

this is the walkthrough XD

Really you need to see it in action to understand it. If Tarquin's still interested we could start with you two. You can also look at the old test game. That may help.

edit: oh yeah, that was only about an hour of typing at most. It's for a good cause and I only have to type it once too ^^p If I get a game going from this it'll be a lot of fun. btw, what does that code box look like to you? Is there a line straight down the middle?
Last edited by Jaegar on February 26th, 2008, 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jaegar
Level 67 (Sleeper)
Level 67 (Sleeper)

RPG resources

Post by Jaegar »

I messed with my file hosting preferences. Hopefully rapidshare will be more reliable. Also, I made a little program you can use to calculate ability scores. I think it's given me a big head to have made a useful program and post it on the internet. All the stuff is in the original post of course (too lazy to add it here too)
Saxire
Level 63 (Seal)
Level 63 (Seal)
Input the current year: 2009

RPG resources

Post by Saxire »

.....|.....
....o|.....
...oo|.....
..ooo|.....
this is what is inside the box for me.... i have no idea what its supposed to mean...... :-[
Duhduhduh dum.
Jaegar
Level 67 (Sleeper)
Level 67 (Sleeper)

RPG resources

Post by Jaegar »

That's what I thought. It's just a little something I did to simulate an ASCII drawing. If all the characters took the same amount of space, the whole thing would be square and the lines would go straight down the middle. With normal formatting the periods take less space than the "o"s, so it gets lopsided.

I want the code boxes to make it the same so I can type out maps instead of doing painful work with the crappy free mapmaking software I can find. All the real software seems to cost money XP Besides, even if the software worked the way I want I'd still have to open the map and move stuff then export the image and post it. With codeboxes I could just copy/paste and type without ever leaving the page.
Jaegar
Level 67 (Sleeper)
Level 67 (Sleeper)

RPG resources

Post by Jaegar »

whaaaaaaa O.o I was scrolling through this to sticky it and something caught my eye. It must be the first time I've looked at this entire thread since april 1st. lookit thiiiiisssss!!!!!

This is how text looks with normal formatting and junk.

This is how the hax theme makes it

That's what I want the codeboxes for, but they're not doing it right (they format it the same as w/e the rest of the text is). sooooooooo yeah... If my players don't mind using the hax skin I can type out maps just like I wanted, but I don't want to force people to use a certain theme.

Anyone have input on this? My players? Yoon?
Yoon
Administrator
Administrator

RPG resources

Post by Yoon »

It might have something to do the formatting with the default fonts on the default theme. The "hacked skin" uses Courier New font.

In any case, I've asked about this Code Box issue on the ProBoards Support Forum, but none of the moderators there gave me any real solutions on it. I'll try posting about it again to see if anyone else has any tips to resolve this issue.