Intro to character sheets

Feeling adventurous? If so, give this well-known fantasy tabletop role-playing game a try!
Jaegar
Level 67 (Sleeper)
Level 67 (Sleeper)
Input the current year: 1592

Post by Jaegar »

I'm doing everything I can to get a game going again, so why not take an hour and write a guide to this character sheet?'
There are many many character sheets for D&D. This is a relatively simple but thorough sheet that does what I need it can be found here. (also on the resources page)
http://www.mad-irishman.net/pub_dnd.html#3e_sheets_20

This particular sheet I'm using is the "D&D 3rd Edition Character Form 2.16"

The first page is the most complicated.
The only thing I'm positive I don't need to explain is the top area. It's very self explanatory. I'll take the rest of the areas I've boxed in in some ofrm of left->right top->bottom format in an attempt to make sense.

The first box is the ability scores. All you do is type your scores in and the sheet does the rest. It fills in your ability modifiers and puts the modifier in the right place for everything else (like skills).

After that is your HP. All you really need to fill in here is your max HP.

The armor box has all your AC related information. The sheet adds your dexterity modifier automatically. Fill in any other bonuses you have to AC manually (usually just armor at this level).

All you need to do in the saving throws box is add your base saves from whatever class you are. The character above has levels in roge and cleric so he has 2 sets of base saves to fill in. You'll only have one unless you multiclass as well.

The initiative and speed box is easy. Initiative is calculated for you based on your dex. That's usually all that goes into it. You fill in the speed manually. As a player it's going to be either 30' or 20' usually (it's based on your race and the armor you're wearing)

The attack rolls box is much like the saves box. Put in the base attack from your class and the sheet does the rest.

The weapons box lets you fill in stats for your weapons naturally. You can write (type?) all your bonuses to hit and damage and stuff in the appropriate blanks.

Finally, the skills box. The columns are labeled. Your ability modifiers are filled in automatically. Add your skill ranks to the ranks column and any racial bonuses you have to one of the misc. columns. This character has an armor check penalty so I put that in the last column as well.

The other pages require a lot less explanation, so I just put notes in the margins.

As usual, I'm still available to help with this stuff if you need it. It looks complicated (I know it did when I was learning) but I just did this whole explanation in very little time. It's not bad at all once you figure it out.
Saxire
Level 63 (Seal)
Level 63 (Seal)
Input the current year: 2009

Post by Saxire »

Ok now ive gone thru this too ^^
I think i get one like this for my bad too ;D
But i really wouldnt be able to come up with interesting background and stuff .. im really not creative :-[
Duhduhduh dum.
Jaegar
Level 67 (Sleeper)
Level 67 (Sleeper)

Post by Jaegar »

Having a crappy background for your first character is 100% understandable. The first time I played we didn't even try for a background. It's one of those things you learn to do as you play. Once you get the hang of it it's kinda fun (coming from the guy who designs NPCs as a hobby). Well, it's fun for me anyway XD

The amnesiac thing is confirmed then. This should turn out great. Would you like to make a name and physical description for your character? That doesn't take much creativity really and you can do crazy stuff if you like (see: my character's color changing hair). If you don't want to do that it's not important (just like the background). Names are good though. I'd recommend picking a name at least.
Saxire
Level 63 (Seal)
Level 63 (Seal)

Post by Saxire »

D: I cant keep saxire ? :(
I can see how comin up with such stuff is fun ^^ well i liked readin it.. though like i said im not that creative :-[
Ima try a physical description though - this is gonna take some effort ^^p
Duhduhduh dum.
Jaegar
Level 67 (Sleeper)
Level 67 (Sleeper)

Post by Jaegar »

You could be lazy about the name too, but I think that part's reasonably important. It helps to distinguish between characters, makes the game more engaging, and is more fun that referring to the character as "my halfling thief", "my gnome bard", "my bronze dragon" or whatever.
Saxire
Level 63 (Seal)
Level 63 (Seal)

Post by Saxire »

But like i keep sayin im not creative i suck at keepin names too ~_~ bad experiences..
Saxire is the only 1 i like :P
Duhduhduh dum.
Jaegar
Level 67 (Sleeper)
Level 67 (Sleeper)

Post by Jaegar »

yeah... It's okay. My first D&D character didn't get a name for a while either XD

I think the name is the most important part of your character's background. If you don't get any ideas it's fine. Think on it though.

!!! >.< Blatantly obvious idea. If you can't think of a name, your character can't remember it. Problem solved ^___^
Saxire
Level 63 (Seal)
Level 63 (Seal)

Post by Saxire »

Solution to my lack of creativity = Total Amnesia for my character ;D
Duhduhduh dum.