Character Help Corner

Feeling adventurous? If so, give this well-known fantasy tabletop role-playing game a try!
Jaegar
Level 67 (Sleeper)
Level 67 (Sleeper)
Input the current year: 1592

Character Help Corner

Post by Jaegar »

*yawn* I had a few extra minutes (hour and a half actually) between class and work so I threw this together.

Tarquin said something about playing a sorcerer like last game so I went and made a level 2 sorcerer. He doesn't have a race or equipment yet, but other than that all the work's pretty much done. Took me maybe 40 minutes (and I'm not familiar with sorcerers at all).

Is that something like what you'd like to play Tarq? Can I help anyone else with a character?
Tarquin
Level 56 (Geographer)
Level 56 (Geographer)

Character Help Corner

Post by Tarquin »

Actually, that is pretty much a sort of character I would like to play with. I have been doing a bit of browsing myself on D&D on and off, even used an online character generator for fun :D. You aware of that?
Jaegar
Level 67 (Sleeper)
Level 67 (Sleeper)

Character Help Corner

Post by Jaegar »

mmm I never liked the completely automated character generators. When I was at the height of my D&D writing I wrote up NPCs from scratch on 4 page character sheets for fun. The closest thing to an automated D&D sheet I've used is the one I just put that on. If it works for you though, go for it.

A little note on your equipment, don't worry about your weapon proficiencies. Pick any non-exotic weapon you like. Last time you played an Elf just to get a longsword. My system does proficiency differently so it doesn't matter. If we switch to it you'll be all set, and if we don't you'll just be a sorcerer with an extra weapon proficiency ^^p

So, anyway, whenever you have a playable character/need more help let me know. We still need Saxire though...
>.>

<.<

OI! SAX! What kinda character do you wanna play? Just describe what you wanna do. You wanna be a bard? =p lol I can make one >3 Tell me something or next time I think of it I'm making a gnome bard for you to play so you can be the comic relief >:D

Like I said though, if you don't wanna read even the shortened descriptions of the classes I posted in my intro, just tell me what you want to do. You could even give me an RO class and I'll pick the D&D class that's most similar.
Jaegar
Level 67 (Sleeper)
Level 67 (Sleeper)

Character Help Corner

Post by Jaegar »

Okay, I got your bard. You should read the basics of the bard class here and take a look at what the spells I gave you do here. I'll give you a plain explanation of what you can do and add your free potions and stuff after I get back from work (maybe). Oh, yes that's a pistol in your equipment. I'll explain that later too.

Sax's Bard

*dashes off*

edit: I'd like to thank the inventor of energy drinks for making 7 hour shifts @ fast food restaurants suck less. Anyway...

What'd I say you get for equipment anyway? *dashes off again to check*

okay, you just need the spell items I mentioned. Take cure light wounds off your list of known spells. You know Hideous Laughter instead. Instead of potions of cure light wounds you have a wand of it with 18 charges (because your party doesn't have a cleric atm). You also get one more potion. let's make it... An oil of Identify. Those come in handy occasionally.

The pepperbox. In case you're not well versed in weaponry, it's a type of revolver (wikipedia!). In my campaign setting, firearms are artifacts (modern style firearms, automatic rifles and everything). In D&D terms, that means they're rare and players can't make them. Some clever inventors (read "gnomes") have managed to create simple, working firearms. You have one. Yours happens to be a 3 shot design with one over-large barrel. It deals 2d8 instead of the listed 2d6, but uses different ammunition. The disadvantage of that ginormous damage is that you take a -2 penalty firing the heavy shots (note, you could fairly easily 1-hit someone with your hp with this weapon).

Anyway, as a bard your unique ability is that you can use the perform skill to buff your party and stuff. Bards also steal just about every trick in the book from all the other classes though (cast spells, use skills, physical combat, etc.). You can do your buff thing twice per day at level 2. If you wanted to you could also distract someone else instead (that one only works outside of combat). Because you're a gnome (low strength) and some of your ability scores went to powering spellcasting, you need to stay away from melee. That's (part of) why you get a gun. Tarquin's sorcerer would almost be better off in melee than you (A lot better if he gets some armor and more hp).
Last edited by Jaegar on March 20th, 2008, 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Saxire
Level 63 (Seal)
Level 63 (Seal)
Input the current year: 2009

Character Help Corner

Post by Saxire »

Im jus readin all the skill description and stuff but i still have no idea how the game is gonna work or if im gonna remember all the spells :-[

Btw
xref
6825 1908
0000000016 00000 n
0000045214 00000 n
0000055655 00000 n
0000055701 00000 n
0000061256 00000 n
0000061299 00000 n
0000061407 00000 n
0000061455 00000 n
and a lot more - this is what my bard looks like to me :P
I guess something happened to my adobe .. could you put it on a different format?? xD

Edit 2 : Im guessin you added stats for my character too :P coz i wouldnt know what would be good for me except i realized i need charisma ;D and not much strength :)
Last edited by Saxire on March 23rd, 2008, 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Duhduhduh dum.
Jaegar
Level 67 (Sleeper)
Level 67 (Sleeper)

Character Help Corner

Post by Jaegar »

ummmm o.o that sheet doesn't have an option to export to anything else. Do you have the latest versions of adobe and java?

http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html

http://www.java.com/en/download/index.jsp

If you can't get it to work I guess we can find something. I wanted you to see your character to start learning the stats, but as long as I know what your character's stats are you just have to describe what you want to do and I'll do the dirty work.

Your spells aren't especially important. Bards can do pretty much anything, so you have other options. In combat you're more likely to use your weapon (bards don't get attack spells till higher levels) and you have some skills that are useful outside of combat. Also, character skills aren't everything. In Tabletop RPGs there's actually roleplaying. You'll see more about that when we play. It's one of those things that's better to see than have explained.

Since you can't see your character sheet atm I guess, here are your spells (just so you can read over them).

level 0 (cantrips) (3 per day)
Detect Magic
Know Direction
Mending
level 1 spells (1 per day)
Hideous Laughter
Sleep

Those per day bits are how many spells of that level you can cast total in a day. Like I said, bards don't get a lot of spells at this level.
Saxire
Level 63 (Seal)
Level 63 (Seal)

Character Help Corner

Post by Saxire »

I already saw what all skills i got from that link
I saw something about distracting enemies in combat with singing :P hmm i forgot what the skill was called xD - but i think i needed some higher rank in singin :( which ofcourse i have no idea how to get :-[

Ima try to download them , if not what do we do? :o
Last edited by Saxire on March 26th, 2008, 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Duhduhduh dum.
Dark Falco
Level 31 (Deviling)
Level 31 (Deviling)

Character Help Corner

Post by Dark Falco »

hehehe....well jae, me and blank have been playing around here with DnD chars, and Ulfgar popped up in many and lvled to 5 =)
dat ok wit you?
Dark Falco: 150 shadow chaser : TF Guild Leader
Vivi: 150 Sorcerer
Silent Swordsmen: 103 Rune Knight
Dark Healer: 83 Priest
Falco: 86 Hunter
Jaegar
Level 67 (Sleeper)
Level 67 (Sleeper)

Character Help Corner

Post by Jaegar »

hmmmm I was going to start this at level 2 so the new players could start slowly, and I'm not sure how I'd balance the difference. If you wanted to play a lower level version now or play a different character and switch to Ulfgar later that would work. Well... show me your stats and I might be able to figure something out. You'll be beating the crap out of stuff in melee and our little group doesn't have any fighters yet so you wouldn't be stepping on any toes. It just might work.
Last edited by Jaegar on April 2nd, 2008, 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Saxire
Level 63 (Seal)
Level 63 (Seal)

Character Help Corner

Post by Saxire »

Yay another player ! falco!!!! <3
Duhduhduh dum.
Dark Falco
Level 31 (Deviling)
Level 31 (Deviling)

Character Help Corner

Post by Dark Falco »

hmmm, yah i can play now, every day in school i get on this and respond to stuff, so yah^^ I can play, and ill make a lower char for you jae, so i dont eat the orc's a stuff alive=3
Dark Falco: 150 shadow chaser : TF Guild Leader
Vivi: 150 Sorcerer
Silent Swordsmen: 103 Rune Knight
Dark Healer: 83 Priest
Falco: 86 Hunter
Jaegar
Level 67 (Sleeper)
Level 67 (Sleeper)

Character Help Corner

Post by Jaegar »

sounds good. Our arcane caster role looks like it's going to be a bit oversaturated, but any other class would be good, although Leena would cause problems if another sneaky character showed up (thievery contest! XD). Any base class from any WotC D&D is fine. I kinda have them all ^^' Start at ECL 3

Just about any LA +0 or +1 race from the PHB or MM is fine. If you want to play something else ask and I'll tell you if I use that race. I'd also like to get some playtesting on my beastfolk race, so I can give you that info if you'd like to try it. Tell me what animal base you'd like to play so I can figure out the ability modifiers (I'm not sure I have the formula perfected so I'm checking all the base animal -> beastfolk race conversions as I get to them). Basically, alllll the anthropomorphic animal races are getting condensed into one highly variable race that lets you play as any animal species (lizardfolk, yakfolk, catfolk, ahhh stop releasing more random animal races WotC >.< [yes, all those are races released by WotC.])

I look forward to seeing what you can come up with. I summarized Sax's bard in my head last night and he's rofl funny. You know a character's good when a concept summary can make you laugh XD
Jaegar
Level 67 (Sleeper)
Level 67 (Sleeper)

Character Help Corner

Post by Jaegar »

Okay, Tarqin. Your background sounded like something that humans would do. I made up a completed version that reflects your background (you're multiclassed fighter, and to good effect). All you lost was one cantrip known and some spells per day. I was really tempted to make your character with my custom material. It would multiply your awesomeness by a factor of 173.2 but I figure it's best to start with the simpler stuff you can look up for yourself.

And here are your spells (too lazy to make pretty looking links XP)

level 0 (5/day)
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/detectMagic.htm
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/light.htm
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/prestidigitation.htm
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/acidSplash.htm

Note that your Point Blank shot feat increases the damage of acid splash by 1 point

level 1 (5/day)
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/mageArmor.htm
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/colorSpray.htm

Color spray is the biggest nuke available till level 3. Everything within a 15' cone in front of you has to make a will save or get completely owned. Mage armor lasts an hour and gives you +4 AC (which makes your AC a very nice 17). You get 5/day so you don't have to be as careful with them as Saxire does.

Your dodge feat also adds AC (against one opponent of your choice) for a maximum of 18 (seriously nice AC for your level). You'll be a decent tank and melee combatant. If you can get at least 2 enemies within range of color spray (no allies though!) you can cast it to own them. Don't cast if something next to you though. They get a free attack and if it hits you may fail the spell.

the area of color spray looks like this

Code: Select all

xOOOx
xOOOx
xxOxx
xxYxx
O= pwned
y= you
x= normal spaces

As an extra to your background, Your parents mysteriously arrived in your hometown several months before you were kidnapped. They were killed by the people who took you.

You like? I'm ready to start this if you are ^___^
Last edited by Jaegar on May 12th, 2008, 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tarquin
Level 56 (Geographer)
Level 56 (Geographer)

Character Help Corner

Post by Tarquin »

Im ready :P, and I thought I already told you elven (the race), if not sorry o.o
Jaegar
Level 67 (Sleeper)
Level 67 (Sleeper)

Character Help Corner

Post by Jaegar »

oh... >.< oops

[color=#CC3333]Jaegar[/color] wrote:Have you finished the stats yet? If/when you have go ahead and make a character thread and I'll start the game.
okies. I'll start it now. (and by now, I mean after several hours of typing) I'm gonna be wanting those code boxes that don't uselessly transform into normal text soon XP.

Keep that mithral buckler I gave you anyway. I may use it to advance the plot later.
Last edited by Jaegar on April 12th, 2008, 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.