ohhhhh crap >.<

Into the latest tech. gadgets and computer hardware? Discuss it in the zone.
Jaegar
Level 67 (Sleeper)
Level 67 (Sleeper)
Input the current year: 1592

ohhhhh crap >.<

Post by Jaegar »

My computer's broken! :'(
Early this morning, my computer illiterate mother triedt to install something on my (technically her) computer, then uninstalled it. Now >1/2 of the programs on the computer have been corrupted or something and the computer spams error messages almost constantly (I'm using IE now because firefox won't open :-[)
I haven't had time to try RO in my panic to fix things, but I'm not exactly optimistic about this.
The lame system restore function had no effect (as usual w/ my family's major screw-ups)
My best guess is that I'm going to have to re-install all of the broken stuff :P

EDIT: yeahhhhh... RO's busted (along with all of my video [anime] playing software :o)
Last edited by Jaegar on October 11th, 2006, 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
darkblank
Level 25 (Cookie)
Level 25 (Cookie)

ohhhhh crap >.<

Post by darkblank »

O.o o.o o.O
Doesnt this seem familair, didnt something like this just happen to me like 2 weeks ago?
Protect your computers! (We seem to be cursed XD)
Yoon
Administrator
Administrator

ohhhhh crap >.<

Post by Yoon »

Hmm, if your mother uninstalled an important computer component and you are running Windows ME (yuck) or Windows XP, you can use the System Restore tool to restore your computer back to where it was previously working. You can find it by going to Start -> Accessories -> System Tools - > System Restore and select a date where your computer was working properly.

However, if it was spyware or a trojan/virus that got onto your computer, System Restore won't help. I suggest following the directions in this thread: http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.....7&enterthread=y
It provides great instructions on how to removing even the worst malware on your computer.
Jaegar
Level 67 (Sleeper)
Level 67 (Sleeper)

ohhhhh crap >.<

Post by Jaegar »

Protect your computers!
lol, I wish I could.

And also, yes, the computer's running windows XP and my mom did a system restore. The problem is that stuff other than system files was messed up. A virus of some sort is a possibility, but my mom has the "Windows XP Bible" and has been using some of the information in it regarding the computer's registry sometimes, so it could be entirely accidental.

btw, while I was at work yesterday (why do they alway do this behind my back? >.>) my parents made their own attempts at fixing the computer, and now I can't get it to do anything. I'm typing this on our computer that's so old it can't run RO.

hmm, thanks for that forum link. Once the computer works well enought, I'll follow it's advice.

EDIT: The computer was sent to "the shop" this morning. We're waiting for a report. I've been told that I can expect it to be back and working by monday >.>

EDIT (20 min till WoE): Waah :'( I just got back from work, and there's still no news about the computer. How'd the tournament go? GL with WoE. I'm so sorry I have to miss it :-/
Last edited by Jaegar on October 14th, 2006, 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.