Intel's Next Generation "Nehalem" Processor is Now "Core i7"

Into the latest tech. gadgets and computer hardware? Discuss it in the zone.
Yoon
Administrator
Administrator
Input the current year: 1592

Intel's Next Generation "Nehalem" Processor is Now "Core i7"

Post by Yoon »

With Intel's next generation Nehalem processor series coming out late this year to replace the current Core 2 lineup, it has been revealed by Expreview.com that Nehalem will officially be called "Core i7".
Nehalem to become Core i7 processor

Intel have decided to brand Nehalem with a new name “Core i7″. That means no matter Bloomfield, Lynnfield, or Havendale will officially get their name.

There will be 3 Bloomfield to enter PC market later this year, and the 999USD top-of-the-line Bloomfield is the only Core i7 Extreme Edition processor current revealed.

All i7 processors and i7 Extreme Edition processor will be officially announced in Aug 11st, launch date set to Q4 this year.

Source: http://en.expreview.com/2008/08/08/neha ... /#more-625
I'm surprised they didn't name it Core 3. Apparently the i7 is suppose to reflect that Nehalem is the seventh generation Intel processor, although Pentium 4/D "Netburst" was really the seventh generation Intel processor. :shock: Considering the Pentium 4's dismal flaws, I guess Intel wants to forget the Pentium 4 era altogether. :p

For those that want to get a preview of how much faster Core i7 is over the current Core 2 processors, you should check out AnandTech's Nehalem Preview. In most of the preview tests, Core i7 has been shown to be 20-30% faster than Core 2 "Penryns", clock for clock. :o