the freezing problem?

Into the latest tech. gadgets and computer hardware? Discuss it in the zone.
Angie
Level 51 (Nine Tail)
Level 51 (Nine Tail)
Input the current year: 1592

the freezing problem?

Post by Angie »

XD
so im sick of this one now
my computer freezes
before it was just ro.. but then it effected other games too =/
and then when i watched movies on the computer that also started freezing..
so its not just ro gone bad xD
and nick said my computer looks fine
Slayer
Level 61 (Dragon Tail)
Level 61 (Dragon Tail)
Input the current year: 2009

Re: the freezing problem?

Post by Slayer »

mabey its a virus?
PSN:ChaoticCrusader
MSN:darkcronical@live.co.uk
Angie
Level 51 (Nine Tail)
Level 51 (Nine Tail)

Post by Angie »

i think not
cause we sweep the computer many times
and it still happens
so i think its something wrong wit..some hardware..? i just don't know what?
Yoon
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Yoon »

If you've done multiple virus/spyware scans and reformats and the PC still freezes, then it's highly likely that it's a hardware problem.

Can you list your specs, or the exact model name and number of computer (i.e. HP Pavillion a6600z, Dell Dimension 4300, etc.)?

Possible causes to your problem:

1.) Your processor, video card, or some other component is overheating.
- This is likely to be the cause, especially if you have an older computer and have not cleaned out your computer case in a very long time. You can check your PC temperature by downloading the SpeedFan program (http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php). In that program, you can see the temps of various computer parts that are running inside your PC. Since all computer parts are different, temperatures will vary, but generally, anything over 80 Celsius is probably way too hot.

Open up your PC and make sure that all the case fans are running. If you notice a lot of dust inside the computer, you can try to dust out your computer by opening your PC and taking a compressed air can and spraying the air to get all the built-up dust out. Don't use a vacuum or hair dryer as an alternative, since these generate static electricity and can actually damage your computer.

2.) Your RAM has gone bad and is unstable.
- Lockups / frequent BSODs can also be caused by bad RAM. You can test this by going to http://www.memtest.org/ and downloading the Memtest86+ image. You can either burn it to a CD, install it on a USB Flash Drive or a floppy disk.

After putting Memtest86+ on your selected media, insert the media and restart the computer. If your computer is set to boot your CD-ROM/USB/floppy disk drive before your hard drive, it will run the program automatically. If it doesn't and it goes directly to Windows, you will need to adjust your boot order settings. This can be changed usually by pressing DEL, F2, F3, F9, or F10 (different for all computers).

The Memtest86+ program will show up as a blue screen with diagnostic information. You don't have to do anything, as it automatically runs it's test. The RAM is bad if it detects any errors (will show up as red lines in the bottom half of screen) and will have to be replaced.

3.) Hard Drive is dying.
- Out of all computer components, the hard drive is likely to go first, since it's the only part that uses movable parts (except for the system/case fans). If the computer throws out "file corruption" errors whenever you try to open files or BSOD whenever accessing files, then the hard drive might be dying. If that's the case, you will have to buy a new hard drive.