Major Spam Bot Invasion Crisis Averted!

If you are having issues with the forums, this is the place to be. All board announcements, information about board features, board issues, as well as confirmed member bans are discussed here.
Yoon
Administrator
Administrator
Input the current year: 1592

Major Spam Bot Invasion Crisis Averted!

Post by Yoon »

Over the U.S. Thanksgiving holiday week, Y-Corner was invaded by spam bots from Russia. As the board's been really inactive as of late, the phpBB3 version of this board was severely out of date, leaving Y-Corner susceptible to a lot of security flaws. I did a reversion of the forums database before the spam invasion, banned the bot IPs, closed registration, and committed a fresh install of the latest version of phpBB3.

Unfortunately, this means that several features (such as the chat box) have been removed. I'll slowly re-add these features back, once the board's been firmly locked down.
Yahoo
Level 64 (Golden Thief Bug)
Level 64 (Golden Thief Bug)
Input the current year: 2009

Re: Major Spam Bot Invasion Crisis Averted!

Post by Yahoo »

Nice
There was couple bots yea xD
RO IGNs:
Daefas - Warlock
Daedr - Arch Bishop
Yoon
Administrator
Administrator
Input the current year: 1592

Re: Major Spam Bot Invasion Crisis Averted!

Post by Yoon »

It was pretty bad. The spam bots took advantage of a phpBB3 registration security exploit and used that to register over fifty accounts in a short period of time. I became aware of the situation when I started getting large amounts of e-mail notifications that were marked as undeliverable; apparently, the bots used dummy e-mail accounts to register and were bypassing the e-mail activation part. :p

Either way, I'm updating the forums now. Can't be too lax when it comes to web security! :lol: