Beijing 2008 Olympics Opening - Part of Fireworks Faked

Discuss interesting news and events that are currently happening somewhere in the world.
Yoon
Administrator
Administrator
Input the current year: 1592

Beijing 2008 Olympics Opening - Part of Fireworks Faked

Post by Yoon »

MSNBC.com is reporting that portions of the aerial fireworks broadcast was faked via added 3D CGI effects. :o More below:
Fireworks over the Olympics pyrotechnics erupted when it was learned that part of the elaborate display broadcast to the world in the opening ceremony was faked, done digitally in 3-D computer graphics.

The Beijing Times, which first reported the story, said members of the Beijing Olympic Committee defended the action because of the city’s hazy, smoggy skies, which made such a complicated display at night too difficult to pull off successfully.

Source: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26139005/
This is very disappointing, as part of the awe of the opening was the belief that all of the shown effects were real. I was very impressed with the Beijing Olympics opening, as the show really seemed to push special effects to a new level. I was also impressed with the aerial fireworks, but to learn that they too were done in CGI makes me feel a little disappointed. :x

Now that we know that the aerial fireworks broadcasts were done in CGI, it has to make people wonder if other parts of the opening were faked (in CGI). :roll:
Jaegar
Level 67 (Sleeper)
Level 67 (Sleeper)

Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics Opening - Part of Fireworks Faked

Post by Jaegar »

whaaaaaaa O.o lol

I need to see this. I didn't watch it to begin with >.<
Tarquin
Level 56 (Geographer)
Level 56 (Geographer)

Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics Opening - Part of Fireworks Faked

Post by Tarquin »

OMG, its so bad. I loved the display at the start. I really thought they were brilliant.