the big bang recreation

Discuss interesting news and events that are currently happening somewhere in the world.
Slayer
Level 61 (Dragon Tail)
Level 61 (Dragon Tail)
Input the current year: 2009

the big bang recreation

Post by Slayer »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/main.j ... ern110.xml
according to this they are gonna remake the big bang with a 12 mile long machine O.o
PSN:ChaoticCrusader
MSN:darkcronical@live.co.uk
Jaegar
Level 67 (Sleeper)
Level 67 (Sleeper)
Input the current year: 1592

Re: the big bang recreation

Post by Jaegar »

yeah, I'm kind of curious about how that thing turns out. If I wake up and some sci-fi scenario has come true (world explodes, time travel, etc) I'm blaming that thing.

Popular Science even had a mention of it in their random questions section. The question was "What would happen if I was standing next to it when it was turned on?"

A: If everything's working right, you'll get a large dose of radiation which would start causing problems if you stayed more than a few minutes. If something goes horribly wrong, and the particle beam somehow got out of the machine and hit you, it would be like getting hit with the energy of a train moving 400 mph in the form of a beam a few mm wide.

(that's from memory so don't quote me on that)
Hadvi
Level 56 (Geographer)
Level 56 (Geographer)

Post by Hadvi »

Something are better to be left alone XD. no seriously, if something happens I will big bang them into the next millenia >_>. Im guessing 2nd tsjernobyl++++++++ if things go wrong. They really shouldnt mess with dangerous things.

Show me what it's like, to be the last one standing~~
And teach me wrong from right, and I'll show you what I can be~~
And say it for me, say it to me~~
And I'll leave this life behind me~~
Say it if it's worth saving me~~
Slayer
Level 61 (Dragon Tail)
Level 61 (Dragon Tail)

Post by Slayer »

good news everyone the chances of it causing a micro black hole are 1/50,000,000 chance your more likely to win the lottery than it happen :D
ascot
Level 46 (Deviruchi)
Level 46 (Deviruchi)

Post by ascot »

Yeah sure, somehow since 3000 years humankind believes that the world will be destroyed next year XP
If my wish is to be granted, please bring me to you right now.
If life can be repeated, I'll go to you many times over
There's nothing else that I want,
Nothing else is more important than you.
Yoon
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Yoon »

Well, the LH collider has been turned on and the world is still here. :p

The real experiment supposedly happens in October, however.

In any case, if shit does happen, at least there's a 'Gordon Freeman' look-alike working at CERT: :lol:

All he needs now is a crowbar. :lol:
Jaegar
Level 67 (Sleeper)
Level 67 (Sleeper)

Post by Jaegar »

lol O.o the guy next to him does have a giant rachet...

One reason I think this is funny is because of the fact that the HARP Sci-Fi game has "particle beam" ship weapons. Shortly after we got that I read how strong the beam was. We have sci-fi style weapons! They're just not weaponized yet...
Slayer
Level 61 (Dragon Tail)
Level 61 (Dragon Tail)

Post by Slayer »

and i tihnk thats a good thing too
ascot
Level 46 (Deviruchi)
Level 46 (Deviruchi)

Post by ascot »

Image XD
If my wish is to be granted, please bring me to you right now.
If life can be repeated, I'll go to you many times over
There's nothing else that I want,
Nothing else is more important than you.
Jaegar
Level 67 (Sleeper)
Level 67 (Sleeper)

Post by Jaegar »

lol that's a good one XD

So, anyone wanna make some predictions about what'll happen when they seriously start smashing stuff together? I have some requests for which alternate universe I'd like to be sent to if it starts tearing random holes in the multiverse
Yoon
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Yoon »

Well, this is a little worrisome, a group of hackers hacked into the LHC earlier today: :o
A group calling itself the "Greek Security Team" hacked into a computer connected to the system last Wednesday.

A spokesman for Cern, the lab that houses the LHC, said the hackers put up a message on the facility's website.

No harm was done but the incident has highlighted the need for security in the LHC's network, the spokesman said.

The hackers had targeted the computer network of the Compact Muon Solenoid Experiment (CMS), a huge detector that analyses data from the particle accelerator.

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7616622.stm
The good news is that no harm was done. Apparently, the hackers wanted to prove that LHC's systems were hackable. In the end, CERT really needs to beef up it's security and the computers managing the LHC SHOULD NOT BE CONNECTED TO THE INTERNET UNLESS IT'S NECESSARY. -_-
Jaegar
Level 67 (Sleeper)
Level 67 (Sleeper)

Post by Jaegar »

Yeeeeah... Why is something people are calling a doomsday machine accessible from someplace other than whatever they have for a control room?

I can understand wanting to publish results quickly or something (has to be some reason it was connected), but there has to be a better way to do that
longshin
Level 21 (Yoyo)
Level 21 (Yoyo)

Post by longshin »

Jaegar wrote:lol that's a good one XD

So, anyone wanna make some predictions about what'll happen when they seriously start smashing stuff together? I have some requests for which alternate universe I'd like to be sent to if it starts tearing random holes in the multiverse

Oh Noeeessss doomsdayyyy!!! n´__`n

Now getting a little serious about this...I don't think this will be deadly at all, the suspense and the intention to call the world's atention (I think in my personal opinion) is just a way to turn people's atention away from world's reality.

blablabla :3~~~ Business-economy chat starts from here~
The hipotecary crisis in USA was a painful punch for the whole world, just last week two of the main north american hipothecary companies (Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac) admitted a critical situation and their main manager-directors were suspended from their charges, the government has designed 2 specialized and very veteran people to take their places during an undefined period of time till the companies turn back into normality.

Why?

Well basically making long story short, this 2 companies help lots of banks in USA keep enough financing to continue with their normal activities (together both companies have more than 50% of the whole USA loan system ) , FED (Federal Reserve System of United States) is surely an awesome team, they are surely running through interesting times in USA and I wish Bernanke and all the other people related to the gorverment can achieve even more stability than they already got, I think it was the economy minister of USA that said today that till the hipotecary situation is not stabilized the end of this rough times are still a little far to end.

Just today the Lehman bank accepted it is in bankrupcy and Dow Jones Industrial Index of New York Stock Exchange fell more than 4%, investors are getting a little nervous for sure. Interesting times are happening all around the world but im sure things will be back to normal soon, some months from here probably but well~~ just a little of patience and keep showing the world and american consumers that FED and the goverment are not gonna let the system fall, they are gonna keep working to keep the situation stabilized.

:3 the blablabla econonmy-business chat ends here~

I'm sure they have already tested the effects of the situation and the United Nations or some organization already aproved the non-lethalness of the process to recreate the explosion.

Also if this experiment is able to generate so much energy as an explosion, it would be a beautiful advance for science and energy. With the recent lifting in oil prices caused by limitations in production and China's world developement and finally going down- sadly not because oil production increased but because economies are de-celerating this is caused by people's oil demand: now it is limited because basic products prices went up (food basically) not talking about the hipotecary crisis in USA , all this effects go through a process of contagium through the whole world because of USA's importance as a commerce and exchange link for the whole world.

Biodiesel is sure nice and interesting but because it requireres main food like corn to be produced it makes lots of products price go up because of demand and the destruction of crops to produce more corn.

I'm sure lots of countries in Africa, Latin America, Asia and the whole world would be thankful if a new source of energy could be generated soon...someone could sure win a Nobel Prize if this experiment proves to be useful for humanity n _ n ..

D:! unless some evil sciencist of super villain is trying to destroy the world!!!

But who could be that cruel !!! D:!!!....

HIM!!!
Nom Nom Nom
No matter how sad or wonderful things look like...just remember...they will turn better... n _ n enjoy every second...
Thanks for the Signature Chillith X3!
Saxire
Level 63 (Seal)
Level 63 (Seal)

Post by Saxire »

I got some really nasty pics from my friends about it lolol ...but i wont post em here ..and i dont keep track of news..no good habits at all lol so iono anything about the real thing
Duhduhduh dum.
Yoon
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Yoon »

Heh, looks like the 'end of the world' will have to wait, now that the LHC's developed a helium leak:
The world's largest particle collider has been shut down for at least two months due to a large helium leak stemming from an incident Friday, officials said.

The Large Hadron Collider is a gigantic particle accelerator located in a nearly 17-mile-long circular tunnel along the French-Swiss border about 330 feet underground. It was built by the European Organization for Nuclear Research, also known as CERN.

The collider was officially launched on September 10 when the first particle beam was successfully sent around the full circuit. On the heels of an earlier malfunction due to a faulty transformer, CERN said Friday's incident was most likely caused "by a faulty electrical connection between two magnets, which probably melted at high current leading to mechanical failure." At no time was there any risk to people, CERN added.

Source: http://news.cnet.com/8301-11386_3-10047185-76.html
With something this large and complex, I guess it's expected that a few mishaps here and there will occur.