U.S. Economy in Shambles

Discuss interesting news and events that are currently happening somewhere in the world.
Yoon
Administrator
Administrator
Input the current year: 1592

U.S. Economy in Shambles

Post by Yoon »

With the way the U.S. economy has been going lately, it appears that things will likely get worse, before it gets any better: :o
Wall Street is already feeling the sting, with massive turmoil in the financial markets, frozen credit and continued high unemployment. (See "Banks Bog Down.") The nation's unemployment rate jumped to 6.1% in August, a five-year high. So far this year, a staggering 605,000 jobs have vanished. The economy needs to generate more than 100,000 new jobs a month for employment to remain stable.

There are fears that the United States might fall into recession at the end of this year. Data on Thursday was similarly discouraging.

Source: Forbes.com - U.S. GDP Deflates
As an American, this makes me extremely worried, as securing future loans and future job prospects are looking quite dim in the U.S. :( Even for long-term, fully employed people with excellent credit are finding it extremely difficult to secure a loan from mortage companies/banks, thanks to the subprime mortage crisis. As a result, I might have to put my plans on getting a condo/house on hold for the time-being.

Although the economic crisis is hitting the U.S. hard, many countries around the world (particularly those that are tied closely to the U.S. economy), such as EU nations, South Korea, and Japan, are also affected by this and going through some economic difficulties of their own.
Tarquin
Level 56 (Geographer)
Level 56 (Geographer)

Re: U.S. Economy in Shambles

Post by Tarquin »

Yeah, India's economy is also taking a major hit. Many people were laid-off, things got pretty ugly.
ascot
Level 46 (Deviruchi)
Level 46 (Deviruchi)

Post by ascot »

Hmm iono if Poland is safe because of EU, but it's pretty calm here... Though there are some meetings all about the American crisis in EU parliament.
If my wish is to be granted, please bring me to you right now.
If life can be repeated, I'll go to you many times over
There's nothing else that I want,
Nothing else is more important than you.
Slayer
Level 61 (Dragon Tail)
Level 61 (Dragon Tail)
Input the current year: 2009

Post by Slayer »

its happening world wide UK is suffering too
i dont think any country is safe from it since the price from trade will decrease meaning less money into every country. if you have money you are gonna be happy since everything will reduce. you could go to a car place and barta with them for less due to the credit crunch ^^
our predicted unemployment rate is alot worse like 6 million they reacon. thank god for college safest place to be ^^
PSN:ChaoticCrusader
MSN:darkcronical@live.co.uk