Sen. Barrack Obama is Elected the 44th U.S. President

Discuss interesting news and events that are currently happening somewhere in the world.
Yoon
Administrator
Administrator
Input the current year: 1592

Sen. Barrack Obama is Elected the 44th U.S. President

Post by Yoon »

Whether you supported Barrack Obama, John McCain, or a third party presidential candidate, it no longer significant, as the U.S. presidential race is finally over. With it becoming clear that Barrack Obama would win more than the required 270 electoral votes, McCain conceded to Obama. Even though the election is not officially over yet, it's pretty clear that Barrack Obama and Joe Biden will be the next U.S. president & vice president respectively:

U.S. Electoral Results: http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/results/president/

It was really no contest; Obama & Joe Biden really sweeped the electoral votes. At the moment, Obama has taken 338 votes and McCain with 155 votes, with Alaska, Montana, Indiana, Missouri, and North Carolina still being to close to call.

I have to respect McCain though; his concession speech was very graceful and respectful, despite booing from McCain supporters. No doubt many McCain supporters are upset, but at least the race is finally over.

With Obama becoming the next U.S. president, history has been made, as there has never been an African-American as U.S. president. All previous U.S. presidents have been Caucasian males. I really hope that Obama can ease the U.S. and the world out of the current global economic crisis, as well as repair the mess that the presidency of George W. Bush has made in the past eight years.
Tarquin
Level 56 (Geographer)
Level 56 (Geographer)

Re: Sen. Barrack Obama is Elected the 44th U.S. President

Post by Tarquin »

Awesome! Now, Obama has a tough job ahead of him. He has to undo all the wrong Bush has done :P. That is not going to be easy either!
ascot
Level 46 (Deviruchi)
Level 46 (Deviruchi)

Post by ascot »

I've read a lot about Obama vs. McCain and I'm not really surprised with the results... More young ppl voted for Obama, and.. more females.
Also, there was an experiment: A group of ppl had to vote on either Obama or McCain, but 1st voting was made on open space (so every1 could see how ppl voted), and second one was just normal (no1 can see you). In the first voting Obama won, 2nd one... McCain won! Being racist not so popular akshully? ;P
If my wish is to be granted, please bring me to you right now.
If life can be repeated, I'll go to you many times over
There's nothing else that I want,
Nothing else is more important than you.
Hadvi
Level 56 (Geographer)
Level 56 (Geographer)

Post by Hadvi »

Tarquin wrote:Awesome! Now, Obama has a tough job ahead of him. He has to undo all the wrong Bush has done :P. That is not going to be easy either!
I think nobody can do worse than bush. unless they copy him totally XD.

Show me what it's like, to be the last one standing~~
And teach me wrong from right, and I'll show you what I can be~~
And say it for me, say it to me~~
And I'll leave this life behind me~~
Say it if it's worth saving me~~
Yoon
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Yoon »

ascot wrote:I've read a lot about Obama vs. McCain and I'm not really surprised with the results... More young ppl voted for Obama, and.. more females.
Yeah, the statistics from the election results show that Obama did extremely well with the following groups below:

- Young voters
- African-Americans (96% of the eligible vote :o)
- Hispanic-Americans
- Asian-Americans
Jaegar
Level 67 (Sleeper)
Level 67 (Sleeper)

Post by Jaegar »

I'm not really surprised with how it turned out either. Always room for an upset though... except when it's over.

Obama has some points I like, but they're all minor. I was really hoping McCain would pull it off because I agree with his policies on taxes and the war. At least we don't have to listen to election ads anymore though ^^p Nothing left to do now except sit back and see what happens.

I also have to deal with black students running around campus screaming "THE PRESIDEN' IS BLACK!! THE PRESIDEN' IS BLACK!!" (not joking at all unfortunately) >.< They make it really hard not to be racist about it.
Tarquin
Level 56 (Geographer)
Level 56 (Geographer)

Post by Tarquin »

Hadvi wrote: I think nobody can do worse than bush. unless they copy him totally XD.
Even if they did they wouldn't become worse :P
Jaegar wrote: I also have to deal with black students running around campus screaming "THE PRESIDEN' IS BLACK!! THE PRESIDEN' IS BLACK!!" (not joking at all unfortunately) >.< They make it really hard not to be racist about it.
o.o you're kidding me!
Coni
Level 19 (Poison Spore)
Level 19 (Poison Spore)
Input the current year: 2009

Post by Coni »

Tarquin wrote:Awesome! Now, Obama has a tough job ahead of him. He has to undo all the wrong Bush has done :P. That is not going to be easy either!
Yeap, I like how Obama said that it might take him two terms to fix the nation. The first term like you said to clean up what Bush have done and the second term to fix things up. Anyone see something here?
Slayer
Level 61 (Dragon Tail)
Level 61 (Dragon Tail)
Input the current year: 2009

Post by Slayer »

how long is a term for a president?
PSN:ChaoticCrusader
MSN:darkcronical@live.co.uk
Yoon
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Yoon »

Four years per term, with two terms being the maximum amount that a U.S. president can serve. The next U.S. presidential election will be in 2012.
Jaegar
Level 67 (Sleeper)
Level 67 (Sleeper)

Post by Jaegar »

ooh! AP US history extra knowledge ftw. In theory a president could serve for 10 years total. If they're sworn in halfway through someone else's term (eg. VP after president dies) then that doesn't count as a term so they could serve the rest of that term +2 more.

If they're sworn in less than halfway through their predecessor's term it still counts so they'd end up with a maximum of the remainder of that term +1 more.
Yoon
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Yoon »

Wow, didn't quite know about that. I've always thought the term that the VP takes over if the president dies/resigns would be counted as his term.

It's nice to learn new things everyday. :)
Yoon
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Yoon »

Well, it's official: As of today at 12PM EST, Barrack Obama is now the 44th U.S. President and the first African-American man as President. His inauguration speech was excellent, highlighting the reality of the problems that America faces and the changes/sacrifices that Americans must make to counter these problems. For videos and pictures of the inauguration, you can check it out at Reuters and many other news sites covering the U.S. inauguration:

http://www.reuters.com/news/globalcover ... candidates

With all the problems going around the world at the moment, let's hope that Obama can live up to the hype.
Angie
Level 51 (Nine Tail)
Level 51 (Nine Tail)

Post by Angie »

my mom woke me up for this .. :?
but seriously i never like..consider him black before xD just thought "cool Indonesian guy..i wonder if he can speak it better then me " xD
Tarquin
Level 56 (Geographer)
Level 56 (Geographer)

Post by Tarquin »

Yeah, I saw the entire ceremony. His speech was really good. I must say he is quite a good speaker :P